Sunday, March 29, 2009

Life's a beach


Yesterday was a gorgeous day. So I packed up my stuff and spent it at the beach. Now sadly, the beaches in northern California aren’t as hospitable as the ones in southern California..but they are still beaches just the same.


Nothing so soul-enriching as the beach.


A sign warned that smoking on the beach now carries a $200 fine. Well, smoking cigarrettes anyway. Just to be safe, I’ll opt for brownies next time. With my favorite music playing, the sun warming my skin and the sand and waves warming my soul, I spent the day embracing my blessings.


What luck. What good fortune. Only last week, my doctor gave me a clean bill of health. I live in a city where the only concern people have about my private life is whether or not I smoke. I have the good fortune of family that I love and that I find to be the most interesting and entertaining people I know. I have friends who are, 2nd only to my family, the most intelligent and interesting people I know. It doesn’t snow where I live, and when it rains, it’s moody and romantic, not dark and dreary. I have a job (for the moment anyway) that aside from some petty micromangement by tiny little caesars, is a dream job – a few blocks walk from my home, affords me the opportunity to be out of the office all day, learning about other businesses and helping them STAY in business – and the pay is fine.


I spread my blanket on the beach not far from a guy who was tapping away on a laptop. How great to sit on the beach and tap tap tap away, whether for work or play. I don’t think I’ll take mine to the beach next time, but it seemed like a possiblity that would do well poolside anyway.
Sometimes it’s good to just ignore the troubles in the world and all the gloom and doom people want to burden you with. And for those times, there’s no better place than at the beach. Kinda makes living close to one worth the high cost of living. Because it is living, and damn, what a life!

2 comments:

  1. life is a hassle without seein David Hasslehoff.
    i know they love him in germany, but the germans are a restless drunkin horde dreamin of 3 elbow rooms with 2 baths, and car port, but other then that i enjoyed the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefere to see David Hasslehoff with a hamburger in his mouth...my dillusions of a soulmate.

    Sounds like your not moving back to Utah. Hmmm, and it was your turn to manage Rosewood. Slacker! Love you anyway.

    ReplyDelete